Monday, October 1, 2012

Kombucha on Tap




Most of the time when we think of something on tap we think of beer!! Well if you live in the NW you can actually get kombucha on tap!!! At one of our local Whole Foods in Portland you can take in your growler and they will fill it up with the your favorite flavor of kombucha. So I no longer have to continually buy the small bottles. In fact I have 2 growlers that I fill up every week because I love it that much and I love all the benefits!

The ancient Chinese called it the " Immortal Health Elixir".  Kombucha has been around for more than 2000 years, and it known for it's history of preventing and fighting cancer, arthritis and other degenerative diseases.
Kombucha is a fermented tea that is often used for medicinal purposes. You can buy it commercially or you can make it at home by fermenting tea using a kombucha culture known as a "SCOBY".(Symbiotic combination of bacteria and yeast)

Sometimes you have to try out a few flavors to determine which one you really like. All kombucha tastes are not alike. But the benefits are the same. It contains beneficial acids that can aid in digestion and detoxification as well as ward off pathogens. It definitely fits into the category of fermented raw food. People who drink kombucha report benefits such as enhanced well being, increased energy, and even weight loss. Research has shown that it may have anti-microbial effects against harmful bacteria like E-coli. It is also known to promote youthful skin and hair.

I absolutely love it, because when I drink it I feel energized and  invigorated. If you have not had kombucha, pick one up the next time you see one in the grocery store and give it a try. I will have to say that I have never made my own but my son Rob has made his own kombucha and it was amazing!!

Until next time,
Jan

P.S. If you haven't clicked on the Real Raw Beauty page at the top left give it a click, also you can read about it on my Real Raw Beauty page on facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment