Thursday, October 21, 2010

What about those Microwaves????

I am enrolled in an online food and nutrition course by David Wolfe. Last week when I was listening to one of my lessons, the subject of microwaving food was discussed.

Here is the quote from that lesson by Lars Gustafsson, "Microwaving food changes the literal vibration of the the food.
Microwaving effects the electron spin rate of every single molecule. It is therefore actually changed the food into a poison."

So you know me, I had to do my own research and check out what he was saying.
Here is what I found out that totally went along with what I was hearing.

This is from a source call Mercola.com titled, "Why did the Russians Band an Appliance Found in 90% of American Homes?"

Microwaves heat food by causing water molecules in it to resonate at very high frequencies and eventually turn to steam which heats your food. While this can rapidly heat your food, what most people fail to realize is that it also causes a change in your food's chemical structure.


Microwaving distorts and deforms the molecules of whatever food or other substance you subject to it. An example of this is blood products.
Blood is normally warmed before being transfused into a person. Now we know that microwaving blood products damages the blood components. In fact, one woman died after receiving a transfusion of microwaved blood in 1991, which resulted in a well publicized lawsuit.


The Nazi's are credited with inventing the first microwave-cooking device to provide mobile food support to their troops during their invasion of the Soviet Union in World War II. These first microwave ovens were experimental. After the war, the US War Department was assigned the task of researching the safety of microwave ovens.
But the Russians were the ones that took the bull by the horns.


The Russians retrieved some of these microwave ovens and conducted thorough research on their biological effects. Alarmed by what they learned, the Russians banned microwave ovens in 1976, later lifting the ban during Perestroika.
The findings of the Russian government led them to issue an international warning about possible biological and environmental damage associated with the use of microwave ovens.
This is what the Powerwatch article cited as conclusion to the research....

Russian investigators found that carcinogens were formed from the microwaving of nearly all foods tested.

The microwaving of milk and grains converted some of the amino acids into carcinogenic substances.

Thawing frozen fruits by microwave converted their flucoside and galctoside fractions into carcinogenic substances.

Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants-especially root vegetables.

That small amount of information is enough for me. I have not used a microwave since I discovered all of this.

I remember as a child growing up my mom would always tell me not to stand in front of the microwave when I was using it, because of the radioactive waves coming off of it. Now I know what those waves were doing to my food...............

Since I am a raw food eater, I am not effected by not having a microwave. My husband has learned how to maneuver without one.
He has to plan ahead, especially if he is going to eat something that is frozen.
If he forgets to take food out of the freezer in the mornings, he will put the food in a zip lock bag and set it down in cold water.
Not having a microwave has encouraged him to eat more live plant foods!

So this is what I have uncovered....because of what you just read and much more information that I have come across, I do not use a microwave. Do your own research and make an intelligent decision on what is best for yourself and your family.

until next time,

Jan

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I was thinking of blogging about this same subject. I've also recently read some disturbing info on the effects of microwaves. In my current lifestyle (mostly raw) I don't use a microwave, but when I was in school I used it at least once a day to re-heat or cook my food. WOW, my eye have been opened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Angel! By the way, I love your blog. I added it to my blog roll. So for all my readers, click on Angelic Monkey on my blog roll. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES!! I knew it wasn't great, but I didn't realize how bad! Rats, I just bought veggies you steam in the microwave:0

    ReplyDelete