Saturday, April 10, 2010

Diabetes and the Raw Food Diet


                            Im sure all of us know at least one person that has diabetes.....

This week as I was reading about the disease and I ran across a documentary by Dr Gabriel Cousens on curing diabetes with a raw diet, and I wanted to share a 5 min section from the movie. Personally I had no idea that diabetes was such an epidemic, but I was very happy to see what can happen to diabetics on a 30 raw diet....Watch for yourself.





Since I wasn't quite sure the causes of diabetes, I had to do some research....
In the most simple terms, diabetes is a metabolism disorder refering to the way our bodies use digested food for energy and growth. Most of what we eat is broken down into glucose, a form of sugar in the blood.
When the glucose makes its way to the bloodstream our cells use it for energy and growth. Insulin must be present in order for the glucose to enter the cells. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas. When you eat, the pancreas automatically releases an adequate amount of insulin to move the glucose from our bloodstream to our cells and lower the blood sugar level.

A person with diabetes has elevated quantities of glucose. This is because the body does not produce enough insulin, or no insulin, or the cells are not responding to the insulin that the pancreas is producing-the result, too much glucose in the bloodstream that eventually passes out through the body. The result, the cells are not getting their energy and growth. Long term effects of diabetes could lead to cardiovascular diease,chronic kidney failure, nerve damage, and possibly as extreme as amputation for gangrene.

I am not a doctor, nor do I expect anyone to take this blog as the gospel-
but what I do know is that if I had a condition like diabetes, and I knew that there were people being healed by changing their diet, I would certainly take a hard look at other alternatives, instead of a life being dependent on perscription drugs. Please take some time and do your own research, and see what you find out....then pass it on..

Until next time,

Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment