Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's HOT this season!


Melissa put up this post last holiday season, and I thought it was definitely worth reposting!

What's Hot....Recycling

This time of year is so geared around consumerism and excess that we have to work extra hard to do our part. This year, lets all delight in recycling boxes, wrapping paper, Starbucks cups, food containers, and everything else that needs to be recycled. It feels so rewarding to be responsible and sustainable. I know I harp on this a lot, but I consider the health of the planet the most fundamental of all issues. If any of you have children, know someone who does, or have ever even seen a child, you can understand how important this is.

I started recycling 10 years ago. My husband and I lived in an apartment without a garage. I remember storing one months worth of recycling in our truck (with a topper). We drove 3 hours round trip to the closest recycling center. It was our monthly Sunday drive. Now, we live in a city that cares so much about recycling and being green. We can recycle everywhere, finally. If it is very inconvenient in your city to recycle, then make a public stink about it. You would be surprised how much power you have to make changes.

What's Not Hot...Throwing away anything that can be recycled.

Recycling Facts

Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees, and saves energy equivalent to 185 gallons of gasoline. When recycling post consumer paper, 50% less energy is used, and 75% less water. Recycling reduces poisonous greenhouse gases. Recycling preserves the rainforest which is losing approximately 137 species EACH DAY due to de-forestation. The US has 5% of the worlds population, yet we produce half the world's trash.

Conscious Deliberation

I formerly worked in an office with 20+ employees. I was disgusted by the amount of paper being thrown away each day. So, I bought everyone a waste basket from the dollar store. They all complied, and I recycled heaps of paper daily with a huge smile.

Imagine a completely treeless, barren wasteland with dirty water...this is where we are headed, if we don't make ch ch ch ch changes!

Come on Everybody, It's Time
Let's all set our New Year's Resolutions to be the greatest Recyclers we can be!



******************* Happy Holidays ********************



Keep it Raw -

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment